Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ground Penetrating Radar 101

The use of ground penetrating radar to detect graves is not an exact science.  Unlike an x ray machine you are not going to see bones or anything under the ground of that nature.  What you do see is cut marks from the excavation of the ground from the digging of the grave.  So an unmarked grave would be identified by it edges, to show where the burial site would have been.  The radar could also see when a burial area had a  vault or concrete cover;  this was identified as upside down U on the radar display.  I had a great time helping Mr. Swift as his plot marker.  Now more work comes, all the red flags that I placed need to be measured and plotted. I am so glad next week is supposed to be cooler; as I know my Mom will have us at the cemetery as soon as my grandfather's surgery is completed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment